Kitchen by TILAH

Suji Cookies (Biskut Suji)

  
My not so pretty (cos of the green cherries) but very delicious Suji Cookies! I think the green cherries made it looked like I topped my cookies with spring onions!! LOL!! Don't you all think so?

 
    Today, marks the 20th day of the month of Ramadhan, the fasting month in the Muslim calendar. As I now, for the first time, owned an oven, a Brandt, I have decided to bake as much Hari Raya cookies as I can. I am going to fully utilise the oven and enjoy my time in my kitchen. And so I did...


Of course, I did not waste any time to abuse the oven hehehe....and had started baking even before Ramadhan started! I had baked my simple and very easy to do, bread and butter pudding and earlier in Ramadhan I had baked the all time favourites and must haves during Hari Raya, the Pineapple Tarts and Makmur cookies! The recipe for these I will share them with you when I come to baking them again.

Last Saturday, thanks to my good friend Shahila Sa'at who shared her recipe with me, I baked the ever classic, traditional and an all time favourite, Suji Cookies!! Yum yum...

If you noticed on the picture above, my suji cookies are topped with greeny little things called "green cherries" hehe....doesn't look that attractive though they tasted marvelously fine!! I tried to get red cherries but it seemed that red cherries are a definite favourite! That explains why the green cherries as the only option for my suji cookies.

Anyways, for those of you who might be interested to give it a shot, this is a really simple, easy to remember recipe. However, since this is for Hari Raya preparation, the ingredients here makes about 250 cookies. Here goes...

You would need:

880 grams of plain flour
400 grams of QBB ghee (the whole tub basically)
caster Sugar (as much as the whole tub of the QBB ghee)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence - this I added myself
a pinch of salt
red cherries cut into very small bits for decoration (optional) - this I added myself

Method:

Mix ghee, sugar and vanilla essence thoroughly in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon. Add in the flour gradually. Once the mix starts to get heavy, chuck the wooden spoon aside and roll your sleeves. Wash your hands ladies!! Knead the remaining flour into the mixture till it forms a dough. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius.

Once you are done, pinch a bit of the dough and roll them into small balls of your preferred size placing them about one inch apart on your baking tray. Place one tiny bit of cherry on the cookie, if you like (but please don't use green cherries cos I think they look ugly ;p) Bake them for 20 mins to half an hour till cooked. Remember, that the cookies should not be browned on top at all.

So that's it ladies!

I'll return to post my recent Sunday's baking adventure! Till then happy trying!!



Comments

Popular Posts